Monday, April 28, 2008

Latch hooking, beeswax and a little profanity

Yeah, so I tried latch hooking.

First of all, let me explain and describe what a latch hook is in the first place. A latch hook is a hand-held tool consisting of a thin shaft with a hook on one end and a pivoting latch, used for drawing loops of yarn through canvas or similar material to make rugs and the like.
What makes this device perfect for tightening locks, is the pivoting latch. You put the hook through your twist or braid lock at the root. Next, you hook the end of your twist (or wrap it around...whatever, as long as it catches). Pull it back through the twist. If you continue this...it tightens eventually. I guess it just depends on how loose your twist was in the first place. It sounds complicated, but I looked at the process once on youtube and two months later, picked up a latch hook and did it. Considering that my memory is like an etch-a-sketch...I would not have remembered and been able to execute this procedure 2 months later -mind you- if it was difficult.

My opinion on latch hooking. Great process, great way to tighten your locks for an extended period of time. Great! Great! Great! Will I use this method? No. Why not? It works too well. Such a permanent method wouldn't allow me the option of "taking down" my locs in the future if I decided that I wanted to take that course of action. I'd have to shave my head. Now I know that most people get locs with the intention of never taking them out but I try not to do anything that I can't undo. And to me, shaving my head should be an option, not a requirement (unless I have some kind of horrible disease or an outbreak of lice or something.)



Here's a picture of the latch hooked locs.
Granted, I did pull them up, they are still pretty tight on their own. I took this picture about 3 weeks after latch hooking some of my locs. The fact that you still see my scalp goes to show you that they have some serious staying power.


Now the issue of beeswax. I'll get straight to the point, I've been tempted to use the stuff. I know, I know...I shouldn't. It builds up, it's heavy, it leaves residue...but darnit! I'm getting desperate. Gel is fine, but once...just ONCE, I'd like to know what it feels like to redo my twists and have them actually look fresh the next day. Sigh! Call me crazy, but can I see my scalp every once in a while?! Huh? Pretty please?! @!$#%*? (She takes a deep breath and looks off into the sky wistfully).

Okay, I'm done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wait....beeswax is bad? I'm just starting my locs and I was actually planning on using beeswax to neaten them up when the time comes...hmmm....good thing I found your blog. I'm a fan already. Keep growing!

Naturally Me! said...

Aw, thanks! I was beginning to think I was alone out here in cyber world lol. Yeah, someone broke it down to me like this... choosing between beeswax and gel can be compared to choosing whether to use vaseline or lotion as a moisturizer.

Vaseline is not bad, but it lasts long because it's oil based and heavy...meaning it will stick to you and come off on your clothes/couch. Whereas lotion is water based and doesn't last as long, but leaves no residue. So beeswax is the same type of deal...except with your hair. It's fine as long as you don't mind the heaviness and the residue that it will leave in your hair. And gel, like rubbing lotion, is water based and won't last as long...but it won't leave a residue. So there it is.

Happy locking!