Saturday, October 11, 2008

It's not easy being naturally me...


So I woke up this morning, took off the headwrap and rustled my locks around in my fingers the way I always do. After brushing the teeth and washing the face, I checked myself out for a little bit and really liked what I saw. Not that I don't usually, but most mornings I have what I like to call "bad morning face." Not this morning, however. The face was not swollen; the eyes were not puffy and the hair looked ESPECIALLY on point. Every lock was going in the right direction. It even looked a lil bit longer. I checked out the back of my head with a mirror. The kitchen was on point too. Well alll riiiighht! I thought to myself in the most Jay-Jay Walker, dy-no-mite, casanova of the ghetto voice. I decided to wear my hair down at work, which I never do. Most times, I pin it up in an up-do or stick on a ponytail because I have nosey coworkers that I like to keep guessing.

So anywho, I put on the designer shades, a black neck scarf and my favorite pair of skinny jeans and mozied off to the job. And let me tell you, my coworker gave me the most back handed compliment. "Your hair is..." (long pause) "...growing!"
My hair was not nice. My hair was not cute. It was just
 growing. Like a tumor. Then she says, "Don't worry girl, my hair was in that stage too." For those who don't get what that stage means...she's referring to the infamous, "ugly stage" of dreadlocs. (My coworker has long, beautiful locks. Just to give you some back story.)

Now, I did not stop her gibberish (as my best friend would call it, lol). I let her continue to hear her own voice and when she finished eating her foot, I went to the bathroom to double check. Maybe at some point, my hair decided to do something strange that I was not aware of. Maybe it was sticking up on the top of my head, like in my beginner days. Maybe I was mistaken this morning, because the last time I checked, I could have sworn I looked fabulous. But in a moment of doubt...I had to check myself, cause Lawd knows I've had some days where I thought I had it going on and I didn't.

So when I glanced in the mirror, this gorgeous looking diva was staring back at me. 


Phew! I thought to myself. She was just hatin' on a sistah! I thought it was me for a second.

Dy-no-miiiiite!!!



Yeah, she was trippin!

5 comments:

Bsquared86 said...

Yes, your coworker was hating! She may have thought that she looked a mess when she went thru the so-called "ugly stage" so she's trying to project that onto you. Just wave her on by with her hating self! lol.

Oh, and I love the J. J. voice, lol!

Thanks for stopping by my little piece of the blogosphere! Don't be a stranger.

Wry Beauty said...

Oh she was definitely hating, sis. The JJ voice had me DYING. You look fab!

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

hair looks nice buts what with the smirk on the last pic lol

K.W. said...

Most definitely she was tripping you and your hair look gorgeous!!!

http://naturalblkgirl.blogspot.com/

Naturally Me! said...

torrance- I'm always making weird faces. You have to excuse my goofiness, lol.