Monday, January 7, 2008

Flashback

Reflections of a hair diva...


Okay, this is the big week. (For those of you just joining...I am making the transition to locks). As usually is the case at the end of the year, I feel it necessary to reflect on the different directions I have taken when it comes to my hair.

My Different Looks...

Straight


Every once in a while, I like to go for the sleek, straight look. I think it fits me...what do you think?










Curly
Curly is fun...cute...springy. Right?






Natural...(braids, twists, afro)

These are my all time favorite standbys...braids, twists and the occasional afro. These styles are quick and easy.











...And why dreads?
At this point in my life I have noticed a pattern. I always resort back to braids or twists. So I figured that I'd just lock it up (my hair, that is) and be done with it. Braids, twists and locks are in the same family, right? No more worrying about who will braid my hair next or how I will twist the hair at the nape of my neck. Also, I have a secret.
Lean in closer, will ya...
Shhh...okay, here's the secret...don't tell anyone, but I absolutely HATE going into Korean hair supply stores. They are usually located throughout the inner cities and frequented by a sea of humanity of Black women who rely on them to supply us with our beauty regimen. It's sad. Sometimes I can feel the resentment from one culture to the other. The language gap. The distrust. It drives me absolutely bonkers. I don't plan on going back to that any time soon, so here I am. Time to hold onto the money that I so willingly throw away on hair that I could just grow myself.
I hope to impact other Black women. Maybe one day we will take back the hair care industry. That would be nice. (Sigh!) One day...

No comments: